General News

Parsons Green: Teenager Ahmed Hassan accused of buying parts on Amazon to build Tube bomb

The Parsons Green terror suspect is accused of buying some of the “key ingredients” for a homemade bucket bomb from Amazon as it emerged he blamed Tony Blair for the devastation in Iraq.

Ahmed Hassan,18, who was made an orphan when his parents were killed in Iraq, is alleged to have created the bomb in his foster parent’s kitchen and filled it with explosives, knives and shrapnel.

He is accused of placing the device on the District Line Tube during rush hour last Friday and leaving it to detonate at Parsons Green with the intention of murdering dozens of passengers.

Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard he is accused of getting off the train one step before at Putney Bridge leaving the bomb to blow up.

Despite the bomb not detonating fully, 30 people were injured by the “fireball” it created.

There were… quantities of metal shrapnel including knives, screws and similar items clearly designed to cause severe injuries and death to those nearby
Prosecutor Lee Ingham
It emerged in the hearing one woman has been left with “life changing injuries” after suffering severe burns and faces a further 18 months of treatment.

Mr Hassan appeared at court yesterday charged with attempted murder and of using a chemical compound known as TATP to cause an explosion likely to endanger life.

Prosecutor Lee Ingham alleges Mr Hassan bought some of the “key ingredients” of the home-made bomb, which was hidden in a Lidl carrier bag and covered with a pair of grey trousers, from online retailer Amazon.

“There were many hundreds of grams of TATP in the device, an electronic timer and several containers of quantities of metal shrapnel including knives, screws and similar items clearly designed to cause severe injuries and death to those nearby,” he said.

Searches of his home found more explosives hidden down the back of a sofa, the court heard.

An immigration officer, who had mentored Mr Hassan since his arrival in the UK, claims he had expressed “anger at Tony Blair” and that the youngster had been tortured in Iraq and was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder.

Mr Hassan had arrived in the UK illegally in 2015.

Mr Ingham added: “She indicates during the course of her conversations with him he had told her his parents had been killed in Iraq, and he was worrying about being sent back to Iraq, having claimed asylum in this country.

“It is the Crown’s case he intended to kill innocent people.”men

Deputy chief magistrate Tan Ikram has sent his case to be heard at the Old Bailey on October 13.

Speaking about the Parsons Green attack yesterday, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said that the partially-detonated bomb was “packed with shrapnel”.

“Thank goodness nobody was killed at Parsons Green. It must have been absolutely horrific for the people in the train,” she added.

“It could have been so much worse.”

Police continue to question three other people, including a 17-year-old boy, in connection with the bombing, while a 48-year-old man arrested in Newport, south Wales, on Wednesday was released without charge.

Mr Hassan, who lived in Sunbury with a couple who have fostered dozens of children over the years, was detained at the Port of Dover last weekend.

“He said he was meeting Yahyah Farrouk, a friend from Syria. He was going to stay with him in Holland,” Mr Ingham added.

Mr Farroukh was seized by police last weekend outside Aladdins Fried Chicken, in Hounslow, west London, where he worked.

His employer at the takeaway, Suleman Sarwar, demanded an apology from the police and said his mother was in a critical condition in a hospital in Egypt after collapsing from shock.

Police continue to question three other people, including a 17-year-old boy, in connection with the rush-hour bombing, while a 48-year-old man arrested in Newport, south Wales, on Wednesday was released without charge.

The teenager was detained after officers raided what neighbours described as a “halfway house” in Thornton Heath, south London, at around 12.05am on Thursday.

The investigation into the attack, which injured 30 people, has also seen two men aged 25 and 30 detained in Newport.

Hassan, who lived in Sunbury with a couple who have fostered dozens of children over the years, was detained at the Port of Dover last weekend.

Loading...

Copyright © 2015 News 360

To Top
error: Content is protected !!