Former president Jacob Zuma’s wife, Tobeka Madiba-Zuma has died from a suspected food poison, Zuma’s spokesperson Bongani Ngqulunga said in statement.
Bongani in a statement said: “We are deeply saddened by the loss of our former first lady Tobeka Madiba-Zuma after violently falling ill late last night, a day after a carvery at a pub in Pretoria. Our hearts and prayers are with Zuma’s family, friends and fans during this extremely difficult time.
The Pub (name witheld has assured to work with the authorities and closely monitor their investigations into this tragic incident.”
“Tobeka Madiba-Zuma became ill a day after a carvery at a pub in Cape Town. “Her condition worsened and she developed multiple organ failure. It is extremely rare that anyone suffer fatal symptoms; there are only seven other recorded cases of a person suffering multiple organ failure after becoming ill with this bacteria.” officials at Netcare Pretoria East Hospital said.
South Africa’s first female national police commissioner, Mangwashi Victoria Phiyegaa says, “We have opened a case of inquest and we’re still investigating to find out what was put in the food. No arrests have been made so far, but we are continuing with our investigations.”
Commissioner Mangwashi Victoria recorded a verdict of misadventure. She said: “There is no doubt in my mind that whatever she ate caused these difficulties, but I am sure she felt she was going to get better.”